Phoenix is a new passionate school that specializes in the field of variety arts. Our mission is to equip each artist to become the best they can be. At phoenix we believe that the arts enrich the life of the student and family and builds community through cultural awareness. We strive to provide high quality poi classes to children and adults in a competitive or non-competitive, socially aware environment.
What we offer:
- National and international competitions and exposure.
- Numerous performance opportunities throughout the year.
- Concerts, road shows and talent evenings.
- A variety of styles and disciplines in the field of visual flow arts.
What Is Poi? Poi refers to both a style of performing art and the equipment used for engaging in poi performance. As a performance art, poi involves swinging tethered weights through a variety of rhythmical and geometric patterns. There are many different kind of poi.
A few examples will be:
- Training poi
- Sock poi
- Day time poi
- Flag poi
- Light/LED poi
- Meteor poi.
- Fire poi- (Very important : this type of poi will only be allowed when the student has reached his major levels in the Poi syllabus, No student will be allowed to do fire poi in his first few levels of training.)
- And many more.
What is S-Staff? A Buugeng is a type of S-staff and is a technique and art that involves the manipulation, isolation, and spinning of an S shaped toy or staff that is utilized in very unique visual performances.
Why Visual arts?
- Boosts memory, increasing mental capacity by exercising our cognitive process.
- Builds self esteem and character.
- Teaches self discipline and endurance.
- Improves co- ordination, balance, joint flexibility, muscle toning.
- Reduces stress and diminishes depression.
- Full aerobic upper body /full body work out.
- Strengthens your arms, wrists and fingers.
- Poi will balance your left and right sides of your body by developing the weaker side and stronger side equally.
- Develops a sense of rhythm and timing
- Dynamic and rapid -fire decision making creates new natural brain paths.
There are many more benefits to POi, Poi is a passion, and a passion becomes your positive attitude in a world of negativity.
Skye Zatschowitsch is a professional Poi/Fire dancer and head teacher/owner of Phoenix Performance arts.
Skye is a gold medalist at:
- The South African championships of performing arts (variety arts).
- Two time gold medalist at The world championships held in Hollywood.
- Variety arts division champion of the year 2016.
He has performed for the likes of:
- Steve Hofmeyer.
- Juanita Du Plesis.
- Franja Du Plessis.
- Ruan Du Plessis.
- And many more.
He has performed for big corporate instances like:
- Kalima 5 star game lodge.
- Dance Creations SA.
- Merensky .
- Numorous wedding events and festivals
- And Many More.
- Class fees are non-refundable. If a student misses a class they will not be refunded for that class. If the studio cancels a class a make-up class will be provided.
- If your child is going to be late or absent, please contact the studio.
- If you’re account has been in arrears for three months, the student may be asked to leave the class until fees are paid up to date.
- The class fees are month to month payments.
- The person responsible for the dancers account will be responsible for all tuition fees from the date of enrollment until the 31st of December of each year. Please note that like all schools Phoenix might close for school holidays and December holidays. The tuition fees should still be paid for the duration of the month.
- Cancellations – either parties entitled to cancel this contract by giving one month’s calendar notice.
For The Parents
- No phone calls or meetings in class time. I need to be very focused in my classes, but please feel free to leave me a WhatsApp and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. I’m available for meetings but preferably outside of class where I don’t have to share my focus.
- We have a website at artinmovement.co.za just select phoenix on the drop down bar for more information. Please like the Facebook page as well as this will help all parents stay up to date with the latest information.
- Please notify me if your child will be absent for a class.
- It is your responsibility to communicate which competitions your child will be attending, and payment concerning all competitions and exams.
- Phoenix does not carry any medical insurance for its students. It is therefore required that all students be covered by their own insurance policies.
For The Dancer
- No jeans, skirts or dresses to be worn to class. Please wear ski-pants and shirts that will not obstruct movement.
- No chewing gum or eating sweets in class, because this is a choking hazard.
- No gossiping, favoritism, vandalism etc. will be tolerated.
- Please have hair pulled back and neat when coming to class.
- Be friendly to your fellow students.
- Respect your teacher.
- Have fun!!!
- Studio shirt, studio track suits and more are available to all ages, please ask me about the price lists should you be interested in these items. Please note all clothing items will only be made upon receive of payment because all clothing items are personalized with the students name etc.